[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Mar 10 11:39:29 PDT 2009

I've been reading back and forth and depending on how I read what I find
it really difficult to be in disagreement with any of the apparently (to
some degree at least) opposing views here.

Clearly Virgil and guys like David Andersen can demonstrate aurally
wonderful tunings... and they claim they are listening to some kind of
beat phenomena that is apart from the simple beats produced by
coincident pairs. There is clearly a kind of sub-level beat produced
when several coincident pairs inter-react as is the case in playing
octaves, double octaves... etc.  I posted a graph of this a few years
back produced on a wave program I have. And this sub beat changes
amplitude and rate depending on how all the partials line up.

Perhaps this is what these folks are hearing... perhaps not... its small
in amplitude compared to the simple beats of partials.

Its all very interesting to be sure...
Cheers
RicB

    I would disagree with Virgil about where beats come from. Of course,
    they come from coincident partials. But it is true that one can tune
    extremely well without listening for specific coincidental partials.

    However, one can still benefit from the concept of listening
    musically.  Just relax and let the "force" guide you. <G> OK, all
    kidding aside, if you do relax and listen for the sweet spot, you
    will hear it eventually. Assuming you have good lever technique.
    You also need to learn how to setthe middle string slightly above
    that sweet spot so that when the otherstrings are tuned to the
    middle, the pitch is correct for all three strings sounding
    together. (Pitch does change somewhat when unisons are tuned to the
    middle string.)

    David Andersen, I'd like to attend the tuning soirée in GR. Would it
    be during a normal class time, or after hours?
    --
    JF