[pianotech] Securing Pianos to the floor

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 12 01:43:04 PDT 2009

I'll have to add an anecdote here.  Jurgen is absolutely correct.
Cruise ship passengers do not get to enjoy the type of ride cruise
ship employees often to.  When the ship needs to change ports for
passengers, employees that can get seasick get-off and fly.  What
happens in between working ports is described as nothing short of
hellish.  Of-course, to save money, power was turned off.  AC was
unavailable and the ship behaved, well, like a ship.  One lady told me
that she had decided to save money and ride it out once.  She
described clinging to her bunk while a loose suit case entertained her
sliding from one end of the room to the other, back and forth.  Why in
her room, there was no shipboard discipline and she did not feel safe
outside of a locked door with the temporary transfer staff.

Those cups are probably custom made and more than an inch deep with
bolts or welds down to the steel plate floor.  Casters are either
removed or deep within bigger cups.

Andrew Anderson