[pianotech] Securing Pianos to the floor

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 12 05:42:49 PDT 2009

I think you're on the right track Jurgen. I service pianos on Carnival and
Royal Caribbean ships. The Carnival ships use a square cup (picture a square
coffee cup) that is a good 4" tall and had a wide flange at the base where
they run four screws into the floor through the flange. Should be pretty
secure as long as they keep the ship at less than a 90 degree list. They had
one piano on a stage that was on a grand piano truck (Yamy C3) when the ship
hit a rogue wave. Piano ended up half-way across the theatre up-side-down
(little bit of case and lyre damage, but otherwise okay!).

Royal Caribbean ships have a little _/ \_ shaped bracket where the feet are
screwed to the floor and the top of the bracket goes between the caster and
the leg bottom with the caster screws going through it (does that make
sense?).

I think the Royal Caribbean rig will be effective over a steeper ship list,
but are not as strong as the Carnival rig.

I wouldn't want to be on the same floor as a piano sitting on caster cups on
a ship!

Terry Farrell