[pianotech] #2 Soundboard Wood

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Mar 13 05:03:30 PDT 2009

jim ialeggio wrote:
> It would be interesting to go to the local lumberyard, pick out a 2x12
> spruce/pine/fir plank with straight grain and pith running through the
> center of the board, 10-12 growth rings lines per inchish (easily
> achievable in 2nd growth stock), rip the quarter sawn segments away from
> the pith, dry the sucker and make a soundboard...kind of like the sacred
> Koto my brother and I made in our wasted youth...out of cdx plywood.
>
> Jim

Years ago, I watched a PBS segment on a harpsichord builder
who said very much what Frank just did about the wood quality
used. The interviewer had made some comment on the mystical
properties of perfect quality magic tone wood and how such
stuff was, tragically, no longer available in the modern
world. The builder said it was just the opposite, that you'd
be hard pressed to find as low a grade of wood as the early
builders used because no instrument maker today would buy the
stuff.

It would be interesting to build a "Rounds and Porter"
soundboard, but it would be tough to sell. No matter how good
it sounded with the lid closed, as soon as it was known what
the soundboard was made of, tone quality would drop to below
marketability (if that's possible). Perception is 9/10 of the
flaw.
Ron N