[pianotech] #2 Soundboard Wood

jim ialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 11:11:23 PDT 2009

Right... a funny thing about the "quality" of wood used in treasures of
old...

I was on a small conservation crew at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts
de-installing their period room displays.  The quality of wood used these
beautiful constructions was spotty to say the least...more in the
"use-what-ya-got" department. One particular highly carved item stands out
in my mind. Very ornate Icanthus leaf...I spent an entire morning gently
persuading it off the wall. When I got it down, we all gathered around it
with our jaws on the floor, looking at the stock that was used to hold up
this 150 year old beauty...right thru the pith, real low growth ring
count...not what you'd consider stable material. It looked llike they pulled
it off the burn pile. But there it is 150 yeas on, in one piece and quite
beautiful.

Jim

--
grandpianosolutions.com