[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 13 05:40:20 PDT 2009

William and Tyler-

I think we're getting somewhere.

As a child and teenager (not to mention adult), I was fascinated by sound, and was constantly experimenting (or "fooling around," some might say.) I played classical guitar, and was constantly exploring timbre. A sensitive guitarist is voicing the instrument with every note. I learned about harmonics, and realized I could hear them in the sound of the strings.

My current sense is that in a well-designed, well-voiced piano, there is an easy relationship between the two ways of hearing. The "whole" sound is good, and the "partial" sounds are well-balanced and blended; they give warmth and vibrancy without calling unpleasant attention to themselves. My final test is always musical.

Yesterday I was tuning an old Acrosonic spinet in a choir warm-up room. The choir master had said: "You will be surprised how well this piano serves us." When I finished tuning I played mid-range triads around the circle of fifths and played the tonic of each triad up and down through the range of the instrument. It sounded quite good! [The piano was donated a year ago. It's an early Acrosonic with the wood pick-up fingers. At that time I shaped and voiced the worn hammers. It still has lots of wheezing and false-beating strings, though not as bad as some old spinets.I tuned it with Cybertuner using Jorgensen's "Broadwood's Best WT" I think I'd go crazy trying to tune an old spinet aurally.]

Before that I tuned a rebuilt Steinway M with Arledge bass strings and Abel hammers. With this instrument I could play long, open intervals across the piano and just delight in their existence. (Couldn't really do that with the Acrosonic.) When I played triads with octaves the instrument sounded wonderfully warm and embracing. (The customer insisted on lacquering the treble, and I'm not sure I'll ever like the piano as much as I liked it yesterday.)

I don't know about the ability of technicians to isolate partials. In our chapter we have ETD tuners who can't hear partials and are thoroughly confused by any mention of them. We have one fellow who passed the tuning exam aurally after about 3 years of disciplined study and practice while working 60 hours a week at Home Depot. I was sitting there when he suddenly began hearing partials! It was thrilling to be there!

It is very helpful to have some dialogue about this. I believe it is possible to make new learning tools that will help people develop these skills quickly. Give me an 8 day week and I'll learn to write computer programs...

Meanwhile, I hope we can record some masterfully tuned octaves in Grand Rapids, have some interesting articles and post the tuning samples on the Journal media page.

Ed Sutton