[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Mar 13 07:56:54 PDT 2009

This thread is getting really good now: describing HOW we hear. This
is crucial: I love that Ed calls listening to coincident partials
"analytic;' that's what it feels like---a different part of my
consciousness is matching partials than listening to the blend of
partials that is the "whole-tone." I can do both, but it seems more
thorough and "feels better" to me to listen to everything that's
happening when I play two notes; I like I can serve the tuning, and
the piano, better.

I maintain an upright Kawai piano in the studio of a famous film
composer that is tuned so that every string is one octave lower than
normal (A440 is tuned to A220.) It's a huge challenge due to the
massive inharmonicity with the wire at such low tension. None of the
usual hearing rules apply. It's the purest experience of listening to
the whole tone---watery and boinky as it is---to try to hear and
achieve the most musical relationships between the notes. I realized
yesterday that the way I tune is the only way you could possibly do
this work. ETD? Forget it. the sucker would blow a circuit. Partial
matching? Good luck; that way lies madness; there be dragons.
Listening to the whole tone is the only way. To hear this piano in all
its glory, listen to the opening minute of the soundtrack of "3:10 to
Yuma," starring Russell Crowe. Spooky.
DA