[pianotech] high leverage action

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 13 16:24:43 PDT 2009

Dale..

A low action ratio certainly fits the dip and blow... but not the rest
of it.  And he's already at 16.5 mm knuckle to center.  I dont think its
advisable to go shorter then this.... yes ?  Everything else points in
anycase to a high action ratio.  I gota feeling Jon Page was onto
something with his blow distance... but perhaps in the opposite
direction.  I suppose it depends on what picture is right... the hammer
shank ratio and key dip picture.... or the weight figures he gives.  In
anycase... moving into closer then 16.5 mm knuckle to centerpin core
with an already heavy touchweight doesnt seem like a good idea to me.

Cheers
RicB

    Gene
    What type piano is this ?This is the reverse situation from what I
    usually see. SO here are the fixes. reduce the distance the knuckle
    is from the pin. Meaning insted of where it is, bring it closer to
    the center pin & or?and the capstans toward the rear of the piano
    till the blow works with the dip that is present. This sound like a
    4.5 or 4.8 action ratio.
    Dale