[pianotech] becket crimping tool

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 18:17:48 PDT 2009

We never use anything but a brass drift (6" x 1/4" or 3/16") to tap the
becket home. Steel tools on piano wire just don't seem like a good idea if it  can
be avoided. And we urge our students, when putting the wire in the becket
hole to allow only one diameter's worth of the wire to show on the other  side;
when the wire is bent onto the tuning pin, the wire will then pull  back flush
to the hole allowing the becket to act as the whole lever that it is
supposed to be without protruding from the other side.

Paul

In a message dated 3/13/2009 5:33:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time,