[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 18:31:33 PDT 2009

Nick, et alia...

Virgil's first impulses in this direction came somewhere about 15 years ago
as a resistance (for whatever reason) to the ETD's use of "single" partial
reading and coincident set selection. I surmised at that time that what he might
 be referring to is also reflective in speech recognition physics, the
phenomenon  of "formants" which are the two, three, or four major frequencies of a
given  person's "voice", blended as one into a recognizable individual. There
is in  this also a "dominant" frequency which defines the blend, and this may
also be  the "resultant" of which you speak. It is still in the piano a
coincident  set of partials which establishes this most audible (by practice and
recognition) of frequencies, whether we recognize it at the pitch  at which it is
happening or not. I personally no longer hear the pitch  of the beating, just
the beating. I can easily figure out the pitch which  it should be since I
know the interval ratios and what they imply. But it is  "recognizable" as the
sound I want to hear; it defines, whether it is discrete,  formant, or
resultant mathematically, the character of the interval that I  am trying to create.
Wherein, in all this, lies the difference between us?

Paul

In a message dated 3/13/2009 8:04:23 P.M. Central Daylight Time,