[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Fri Mar 13 20:07:13 PDT 2009

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 6:32 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Nick, et alia...

Virgil's first impulses in this direction came somewhere about 15 years ago
as a resistance (for whatever reason) to the ETD's use of "single" partial
reading and coincident set selection. I surmised at that time that what he
might be referring to is also reflective in speech recognition physics, the
phenomenon of "formants" which are the two, three, or four major frequencies
of a given person's "voice", blended as one into a recognizable individual.
There is in this also a "dominant" frequency which defines the blend, and
this may also be the "resultant" of which you speak.

Yes, this is a fine analogy, except that the singer's formant is primarily
related to blending vocal harmonics for a desired resonance. Still, the
analogy holds well.

It is still in the piano a coincident set of partials which establish this
most audible (by practice and recognition) of frequencies, whether we
recognize it at the pitch at which it is happening or not.

Yes, I agree with the second half. Yet I am not so sure that, across the
board, the partials establish the most audible of frequencies for all of us;
maybe for you and many others.  From an energy perspective, the higher
partials contain the least energy. The force of the Fourier, however,
contains the composite effect of all the energies. Each string contains an
entire package of superimposed frequencies.  The Fourier blend sounds like a
single tone to the uninitiated or lay person, if you will. We tuners should
be able to zero in on the coincident partials relative to the interval, yet
appreciate the integrated effect of the whole.

I personally no longer hear the pitch of the beating, just the beating.

Exactly - sounds like whole tone or whole sound listening here. I hope
you're OK with that :-)

I can easily figure out the pitch which it should be since I know the
interval ratios and what they imply.

Focusing on the partials as a skill set of useful tools.

 But it is "recognizable" as the sound I want to hear; it defines, whether
it is discrete, formant, or resultant mathematically, the character of the
interval that I am trying to create.

Exactly - again and quite pragmatic:  sounds like whole tone or whole sound
listening here.

Wherein, in all this, lies the difference between us?

Is this a question for me, or does the "us" imply a dichotomy of entrenched
camps where never the twain shall meet? I frankly don't see a real
difference, but apparently there is a perceived one for some folks. I think
it is useful to be aware of both harmonic dissection followed by integration
for whole tone listening.

NICK

In a message dated 3/13/2009 8:04:23 P.M. Central Daylight Time,