[pianotech] vodka voicing

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Mar 13 18:48:47 PDT 2009

I've been doing some playing around with vodka voicing, that is, applying 80
proof vodka to the shoulders of the hammers, about the 10-11 o'clock and 1-2
o'clock positions, usually in octaves 2 through 6, somewhere between 2-3 oz
total, with a little follow up needling  to do some evening after they've
soaked a little. So far it has been on 2 Young Changs, a G175 and a G213, a
KG2 Kawai, and an older 6 foot Baldwin. All of them had rock hard original
hammers (not sure about the Baldwin) with a very percussive sound. The
results have been very pleasing. The G175 has had two such treatments and
has improved each time. I'm going back out again this week to see where it
has ended up. I just did the G213 this morning and tried 100 proof for it
(probably the first time vodka has been in that church!). It was sounding
much better by the time I was done tuning it.

I'm encouraged. Those original Asian hammers are too hard to stick needles
in and there is no budget money for replacements, even if I could convince
them that the pianos would sound nicer. What I like about this treatment is
that so far it hasn't been a huge change, but a nice improvement. So the
customer isn't shocked, but can appreciate the difference. It is taking away
some of the percussiveness and creating a more open sound. I've not done a
lot of voicing so I don't have the vocabulary mastered just yet.

I got very positive feedback on the Baldwin (which is in a Presb church)
from the community choral leader who always liked doing performances in the
church but always hated the voicing on the piano. On that one I also did
some filing and shaping.

Thanks to all on this list for their encouragement & instruction.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802