[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

PianoCare2 pianocare2 at bigpond.com
Sat Mar 14 01:04:04 PDT 2009

Hi David and others..

 David, your first paragraph is inspiring. In my last post I gave examples
of different thoughts of technicians and their personal view of how to
achieve their goals. I am still wondering about my tuning example from
yesterday as I seemed to perform the same tuning in two different ways. The
open string method sounded better to me but it could have been job
satisfaction and confidence in my work.

I am intrigued on the "technique developed by Virgil" as we seem to give him
credit for the idea, however I am sure it was happening here and in other
countries. Virgil seems to have got the credit for the system, and I say
good luck to him.

I would still like a dollar for every time I have heard "my tuning process
is the best ever, and the only way to perform it" There is a tuner here who
advertises that he tunes "equal temperament with perfect fifths" Apparently
he is the only qualified tuner around..

However.. In this thread I have noticed "flow, zone, leap of faith,
believing in yourself, meditation, etc. I am now waiting for a book to come
out.. " Zen and the Art of Piano Tuning".. Ha

I wish to also add a little psychology and it comes from the practitioners
of NLP. (well they claim ownership)

The 4 parts of learning. 1. Unconscious incompetence, 2. conscious
incompetence, 3. Conscious competence and 4.  Unconscious competence.

This can be applied to any human activity.

Now thanks to David's post, let's not be influenced by the negative
work, we must be on the right track.

Regards

Brian Wilson

  _____