[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 14 05:05:19 PDT 2009

Also an excellent written post !

And the exact truthness of this should make us all immediately wary when
someone -- anyone comes along with claims that their <<way>> is superior
to all others. Ok, clearly there are inferior approaches to anything
given any set of objectives.  But once one is past a certain degree of
refinement in any skill or discipline, we move beyond what is better or
worse into differences in how one achieves a fine result.

    This is the central truth of our craft. Anyone who is a serious
    piano  tuner uses their developed hearing skill in a global and
    multi-leveled  way to get to the same place: a musical, soaring,
    stable, singing  tuning. It doesn't ultimately matter one whit how
    you get there: ETD,  non-ETD, ET or non-ET, strip, no strip,
    "partial matching," "whole- tone listening," light, stiff levers,
    heavy, even impact levers,  sitting low, sitting high, "impact" or
    "jerk" or "wiggle" lever  technique...the bottom line is this. Does
    it sound fantastic?

    That's all anybody really cares about, so I want to do it the way
    it's  most fun and fulfilling for me, AND the most idealized and
    musical to  my trained and demanding ears. Because my custom
    protocols have worked  so well for me, I want to share them. I don't
    really care if you adopt  them or not. I just want my colleagues to
    produce the finest tunings  in the best way for them.

    David Andersen

Cheers
RicB