[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Mar 17 00:43:18 PDT 2009

Yes, this appears to be the choice, and its nice to have that out in the
open. Seems like a third choice must be to fudge between the two. How
does the vertical capstan that is well under the so called magic line
(which seems less and less magic all the time) fit into this story.
Concious choice or the industry just forgetting why it did what it
earlier did ?

Much to think about and try to visualize, but this thread has been a
good one.

Cheers
RicB

    I think this is a case where two parameters are available for
    optimizing. One is friction, and the other is the action ratio.
    However, the question is which of the two is more important to optimize?

    We can minimize the friction during the stroke, as Ron Overs did.
    This actually tilts the capstan in the opposite direction from what
    S&S did. Alternatively, we can explore if there is some benefit to a
    ratio that changes as a function of key position. When I last looked
    at Steinway’s tilted heel/capstan geometry, I concluded that the
    design intent was a changing ratio rather than minimal friction.
    This may very well be the biggest “secret” of the so-called
    accelerated action.