[pianotech] Some Observations & Questions Regarding Partials &Inharmonicity

Tyler Ferrari tylerferrari at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:04:45 PDT 2009

Ed,

I can imagine that our perception of sound is something that is not easily describable. As well, when I hear a 'fundamental', I'm sure it's a summation of multiple different things occurring in the string. My brain is what allows me to separate what is occuring in coincidence.

The first resource that really got me thinking about this was a simple
definition of inharmonicity that a piano tuner gave me. That's when I
started to pay more attention to partials and the effect they have on
my perception of tone quality.

Up until this point, I have not been using any resources (I just received Reblitz's book in the mail yesterday though). I bought a few tools from pianophile that allow me to tune and to do some basic regulation. I think it's my musical intuition that has lead me this far. I just bought the tools, sat down with some software and trusted the software completely (at the beginning), with the exception of tuning unisons by ear.

Over the last few months, I've learned that there's a lot more to it that simply controlling the tuning based on some numerical or arbitrary value that a piece of software has outlined. It's a good starting point, and probably will generate tunings that are acceptable for the general public, but I'm really hunting for something else. Every time I sit down and tune my piano, I am coming up with a tuning that is sufficiently better than the one that preceded it. This is the cyclic learning process I've been a part of over the last few months, and I suppose I am beginning to gain some confidence in my work.

I had what our city consideres a 'highly skilled tuner' come to my place today, and I asked him to assess my tuning and my perception of what was going on. He told me that my tuning is considerably better than many of the local tuners. I can attribute this to the sheer number of hours I spend tweaking in, but it's still difficult for me to believe that it is in fact 'that' much better than a professional with 10 years of experience. He explained to me the most fundamental thing about piano tuning: the quality of the tuning is based on how the 'customer' or 'musician' feels about it. Whether or not 'I' think it is good, if they dislike it, then the tuning is not satisfying them, and in effect, the tuning is not as 'quality'.

I have to resort to being humble because I feel like I really know nothing yet, but I suppose that I am in fact a 'natural'. I would just like to have a ridiculously in-depth chat with a tuning guru about the art that is tuning. That would be extremely satisfying, but I think I may be out of luck in my city.

I'm not a member of PTG currently, but I think that it would be worthwhile for me to join as it appears there is a lot of value in the knowledge that floats around, especially on this mailing list.

Thanks for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

-Tyler