[pianotech] Polyester Finishing

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Mar 17 19:38:00 PDT 2009

Hi Michael,

Maybe I'll try and sand more, buff less.  I do use a large Milwaukee VS
Buffer with 8" or 10" lambswool wheels with the [Menzerna] pastes.  I think
I said Koenig pastes the first time, but they are Menzerna.  I'm after
perfection, and do a reasonable amount of poly work; touch-ups mostly, with
an occasional polishing of a lid or music desk.  My work is mainly for a
dealer - we haven't any finishing shops around and typically, if it is
better they're happy; they aren't going to send off a music desk for some
superficial scratches, know what I mean?  I've had reasonable success with
the pastes so far, except for them drying in the containers.  Are the bar
compounds really that different?

WRM

--
William R. Monroe, RPT
A440-William R. Monroe Piano Services, Inc.