[pianotech] Perfect Pitch and Temperaments

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 18 05:40:28 PDT 2009

I've told this story before, but, not here.  I'll tell it again.  My newphew
has a great sense of perfect pitch.  He can name of any chords, any notes,
repeat what you just played, doesn't matter he can dod it..  He tried going
into the tuning business working with me.  He went in with the mindset of
hey, I have perfect pitch, no problem, this will be a breeze.  When he
realized, he had to actually set pitch with a fork, tune by listening to
beats rather than what his "head" was telling him, he soon found it, that
his perfect pitch was driving him crazy telling him one thing, when he knew,
he had to listen to another and neither matched.  He eventually quit because
he just couldn't do it and didn't have theh patience to stop listening to
what his head was telling him to do.

I went to a class over 20 years ago at a PTG convention where Issac
Sadigursky (spelling?) did it.  He has perfect pitch. He asked as many
people as possible in the class who thought they had perfect pitch to come
up front and set one and ONLY one note on the piano to the pitch in their
head after which, he recorded it onto RCT and compared it to the real pitch
that the piano needed to get set at.  Somewhere upwards of 15 people came up
to the front and set 1 pin.  Sometimes taking up to 3 or 5 minutes to do it.
Each person had to set a different note so as not to screw up the other
persons but, otherwise, they were free to pick any other note on the piano
that the desired.

At the end of the session, he went through each note on an idividual basis.
1 string was set 1/2 step flat.  Another, 1/4 sharp, another, 1/4 flat,
another 1/8 tone sharp and on it went.  Only one, had it dead on and to that
person, he said, "you got lucky."  Had I had you set another, it is highly
likely that you would have gotten it wrong.  His point was that for one,
Issac has perfect pitch.  For 2., it cannot be used in tuning as it is not
nearly as accurate as people that have it think it is and if they disagreed
with him, he had them do it again proving them wrong a 2nd time.

The pitch they had in their heads can be off, he said, by as much as 1/2
tone in either direction.  Depending upon the piano they picked up their
perfect pitch from.  If their piano was never tuned, their pitch was off by
as much as it was flat or sharp.  Even one beat difference is to much in
tuning.

My newphew once, set a bunch of notes with his perfect pitch only.  I then
checked them, with him there, with 3rds, 10ths, 5ths and 4ths.  It sounded
horrible!  And, he knew it.  So, for tuning purposes, it is useless.