[pianotech] Do we do Keyboard repairs??

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Mar 18 07:24:37 PDT 2009

On 3/18/09, david at piano.plus.com <david at piano.plus.com> wrote:
> I think I have to modify my previous response, on the basis of Dean's
> excellent post below. I knew as I sent, that I wasn't really addressing
> the whole story!
>
> In view of the growing ubiquity of electronic keyboards, why *shouldn't*
> we get involved to at least some extent, if there is money to be made -
> provided we get appropriate knowledge and do a decent job.
>
> I was thinking about traditonal watch repairers when electronics came in.
> The good, and forward-looking ones, learnt about the new technology, got
> in new diagnostic equipment, developed new supplier relationships, and
> consequently, having adapted to meet the market, found themselves with a
> new revenue stream.  Those who did not, found their income reduced.
>
> Maybe we will as a trade, collectively move gradually in the direction of
> repairs to keyboards.
>
> Best,
>
> David.

 Good points, for someone closer to the start of their career.  There
was a thing on the news recently that people peak, or actually start
declining, mentally at age 27. At more than double that age I'm not
looking real hard into branching out any more than I already am.

I'm currently sitting in my room, awaiting the delivery of a
Disklavier equipped piano which has been donated to the college, so I
guess I'll be dragged into sparky stuff whether I want to or not.  If
there is no problem with the unit as it is now, then it will fall on
my successor to fix/maintain it in just a few years. Just another
thing in the job description.

No, I won't know what age/size it is until it shows up. Until I check
it out and figure out where it goes, I'll park it next to the
square...
;-}

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT