[pianotech] Do we do Keyboard repairs??

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Wed Mar 18 07:30:44 PDT 2009

david at piano.plus.com wrote:
> I think I have to modify my previous response, on the basis of Dean's
> excellent post below. I knew as I sent, that I wasn't really addressing
> the whole story!
>
> In view of the growing ubiquity of electronic keyboards, why *shouldn't*
> we get involved to at least some extent, if there is money to be made -
> provided we get appropriate knowledge and do a decent job.
>
> I was thinking about traditonal watch repairers when electronics came in.
> The good, and forward-looking ones, learnt about the new technology, got
> in new diagnostic equipment, developed new supplier relationships, and
> consequently, having adapted to meet the market, found themselves with a
> new revenue stream.  Those who did not, found their income reduced.
>
> Maybe we will as a trade, collectively move gradually in the direction of
> repairs to keyboards.
>
> Best,
>
> David.

AMEN ... here is why.

My mentor has been in the business for over 30 years. He started like
the rest of us, being only a piano technician.

As time when on, more and more requests, primarily from churches, to
service there organs of all kinds - reed, pipe, old fashioned circuit
boards (soldered components), newer circuit bards (chips). Some even
wanted the pianos tuned to the organ for special occasions. So with one
stop, he could service both, which of course, leads to more money.

He even taught me how to rebuild a reed organ - which I'll be starting
on another in about a week.

And like a lot of churches, now, are dumping the pianos for keyboards
or, in the case of my church, added the keyboard for the contemporary
service, so my mentor started servicing them.

Granted, that takes a lot of time and commitment to do. He is very apt
at soldering and reading electronic schematics (for the organ work). He
has a separate room of shelves of service manuals.

As far as the keyboards go, they are mostly, diagnose which board has
gone out, order a new one, put it in and return to the client and get
paid - simple. And some broken parts here and there.

So bottom line, he has a chance at a three-way income (especially from
the same client.)

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years