[pianotech] Soundboard Lacquer Finish

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Mar 19 18:57:25 PDT 2009

Nick,

I don't know that I can contribute much to your schedule, but I'd recommend
against any electric polishers on lacquer.  Far too easy to burn/melt NC
Lacquer.  If you want to polish, either french polish (sounds like you don't
need that since you're not going for super high gloss) or just follow a
typical sanding/polishing schedule.  Sand to p800 or p1200 or whatever you
desire and then rub with a polish of your choice.  Probably pumice and
rottenstone are out of vogue, but if you like the results and are familiar
with the protocal, why not use it?

For many folks, shellac/lacquer is out of vogue too, in favor of
polyurethane.

Are you spraying or brushing your lacquer?

William R. Monroe
www.a440piano.net

 Hello All,