[pianotech] Soundboard Lacquer Finish

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Thu Mar 19 19:42:33 PDT 2009

William,

Do you have a paste polish to recommend? I appreciate the tip RE electric
polishers. Sanding to higher grits, followed by a polish sounds like the
plan for now.

I have heard some talk RE polyurethane, but for some reason I can't seem to
get with it; probably too much experience with lacquer, and the boards sound
good, not weighed down. But I am willing to be convinced otherwise. Are
there advantages to poly over lacquer?

I am spraying on the lacquer, but brushing on the shellac. I use a Mohawk
reducer (thanks to M. Spreeman) in the lacquer along with the lacquer
thinner and the flow out seems pretty nice; no sandy or matted looking
sections.

Thanks William.

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild