[pianotech] Tunic software

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Thu Mar 19 19:45:44 PDT 2009

Ric said:

<A comparison between SAT, Cybertuner, and any 12ths
approach should be
rather predictable to begin with... and fairly uninteresting
I should
think. Compare Bernards software to Virgil.>

You're reading my mind Ric. I was at a piano today that I
tuned last year aurally..again, it has been a year since I
tuned it. I measured

A2 - (0)
A3 - (-.5)
A4 - (0)
A5 - (-4.3)
A6 - (4.8)

The numbers in parenthesis represent cents.

The piano is a small Chickering - Baldwin-made, with
Accu-Just. The model is not on the plate..probably 4'10".

-break points at F3 and F5. I found it interesting that my
numbers up to E5 hovered around 0. As soon as I reached
F5(treble break point), the numbers dropped. I'm not sure
what to make of it..only sharing what was measured.

Now, I am no Virgil Smith..only have been trying to emulate
his style. I realize the best solution to all this is to do
what you suggest - measure against Virgil. Right now, for
our discussion, this is my contribution.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)