[pianotech] Tunic software

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 20 00:05:34 PDT 2009

Hi Phil,

Do I read your first sentence correctly ? Are these measurements taken
before or after you tuned ? And did you tune with the Stopper program ?
I'm really tempted to take a trip over there this summer and see how
Stoppers tuning lines up with both the Tune lab manual approach I have
worked with these past 8-9 years and for that matter how it lines up
with the Pocket Tunelab capability of doing a 3:1 stretch. I think Bob
has had that capability on his ETD for 5-6 years now, but he can correct
me if I am wrong.

But most interesting would be a comparison to the so called <<whole tone
style>> of tuning the Virgil teaches. If that compared favorably enough
to P-12ths in general, or especially favorable to one or another of the
three basic approaches I know of today, then we'd be on to something
really cool.  Perhaps the hunt for the natural beat will end in success
after all one day.

Cheers
RicB

    Phil writes:

        Ric said:

        "A comparison between SAT, Cybertuner, and any 12ths approach
        should be rather predictable to begin with... and fairly
        uninteresting
        I should think. Compare Bernards software to Virgil."

    You're reading my mind Ric. I was at a piano today that I  tuned
    last year aurally..again, it has been a year since I tuned it. I
    measured

    A2 - (0)
    A3 - (-.5)
    A4 - (0)
    A5 - (-4.3)
    A6 - (4.8)

    The numbers in parenthesis represent cents.

    The piano is a small Chickering - Baldwin-made, with Accu-Just. The
    model is not on the plate..probably 4'10". -break points at F3 and
    F5. I found it interesting that my numbers up to E5 hovered around
    0. As soon as I reached F5(treble break point), the numbers dropped.
    I'm not sure what to make of it..only sharing what was measured.

    Now, I am no Virgil Smith..only have been trying to emulate his
    style. I realize the best solution to all this is to do what you
    suggest - measure against Virgil. Right now, for our discussion,
    this is my contribution.

    -Phil Bondi(Fl)