[pianotech] Tuning in a down economy

pianolover 88 pianolover88 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:23:08 PDT 2009

Raising your rates in a down economy is like raising taxes. It's just a bad idea.

Terry Peterson

Accurate Piano Service
UniGeezer.com
"Over 50, and not "2" Tired!"

To: pianotech at ptg.org
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 04:28:37 -0400
From: wimblees at aol.com
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Tuning in a down economy

Ryan

First, I have a web site. I just don't mention it here, because you guys don't need my services. But it is on all my promotional and advertising.

I need to make this one point, again. Most of you who have been in business for a long time might not remember what it was like when you first started out. But if you were like me, when I started out in St. Louis 32 years ago, I remember many days with no appointments, and I would tune any piano, anywhere, for almost any amount. Fast forward 32 years, and I am in the same situation. Only this time, the economy is in a tail spin, especially here in Hawaii. Tourism, which is the driving force behind Hawaii's economy, is down 30%. That might not sound like a lot, but just think about your situation, and what you would do if your business was down 30%. Add to that, that I am not as well known as the other tuners. I don't' give a (*&^%% what the other tuner think of me. All I am doing is trying to make a living. And if I have to drop my rates another 10%, to generate more business, I'll do it.

Hey, for those of you who have more business than you can handle, even after raising your rates, more power to you. But until you have been in my shoes, don't tell me what you think I should be doing.

Wim