[pianotech] fiber

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Mar 22 14:38:10 PDT 2009

At 18:19 +0000 22/3/09, David Boyce wrote:

>The material supplied by UK pianoÊsupplier Heckschers for flange
>loopsÊis in fact a thick and extremely strong surgical suture.

Yes, to be exact it is a braided polyester cord.

The blue-green polyester braided cord I use is from the same source
but is of a thinner gauge, which makes the work easier for most jobs.
I also have silk cord as originally used, but over a long period this
will rot if subjected to prolonged damp conditions.  That is why it
is used in surgery for sutures that are designed to perish after they
have served their purpose.

>John Delacour posted a detailed andÊbeautifully illustrated article
>about renewing flange loops. I thought it was among the technical
>articles on his website <http://pianomaker...>Êbut I don;t see it
>there. Must search the archives!

It's here:
<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/flange_repair/>