[pianotech] BUILDING A SHOP (was ideal shop size)

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sun Mar 22 18:38:16 PDT 2009

OSB?  Is it considerably cheaper than sheet rock, and more importantly, is
it to code?  Think fire safety.

Also, remember that "I don't want [X] at this point" basically means, "I
don't want [X].  If you don't do it at start-up, you probably won't,
especially if it means undoing something else.  I put central air in my shop
which has an upstairs much like you are speaking of, and have been SOOOO
glad I did.

If you recall, I built my shop myself with the help of a Father-in-law and
Grandfather.  We hired the excavation, rough plumbing, and concrete work,
then did the rest.  Also hired a crane for trusses.  If I had it to do
again, I would hire to have the siding done - 2 guys working on a two-story,
moving scaffolding constantly - very slow going.

Make sure your engineer/architect really understands your usage, and designs
accordingly, e.g. for positioning a chainfall to remove plates if you intend
to go that route.  My architect was terrible - hard learning experience.

If I didn't already, I'd be happy to send some photos if you like.

William R. Monroe
www.a440piano.net