[pianotech] Point of contact between capstan and wippen heel

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Tue Mar 24 08:45:26 PDT 2009

---- erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:
>  What if most of the range of motion happened 3/4 below the magic line?

As always, it's a work in progress that might be interrupted at any time with higher priority projects.  At the moment my plan is to apply the same analysis the jack/knuckle contact.  From these data I can calculate the beginning and ending overall action ratio.  I'm not sure what that would prove, other that it is an exercise in futility, and the better approach is to directly measure the action ratio from the movement of the front of the key relative to the hammer movement.  When I read about your method of taking such measurements, my reaction was:  Bingo!  That's pretty much what I had just learned to do in cyberspace!

Frank Emerson