[pianotech] Fixing stripped screws

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Mar 24 13:09:36 PDT 2009

Hi Rob
? I frequently find stripped action screws in Steinways. I mean the ones that attach the action brackets to the key frame. I found that simply adding a few drops to make the existing weak threads look wet, is usually enough to strengthen. In the course of an action job these screws come in & out enough times that if I feel one is starting to feel weak that this?is the best moment for great ca tightening results. Did it just an hour ago.?Make sure you spray with a mold release & then turn them in. Later they will turn out with little persuasion.
?I like your idea?as it seems that a really stripped screw would need some fiber filler such as paper towel.
? Great idea.
? Thanks
?Dale