[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Mar 24 16:19:01 PDT 2009

Will Truitt wrote:
> Hi Ron:
>
> One question that has not been asked by me or anyone else is what changes
> you are making to the height of the bridge other than in the high treble.
> We are talking here about of Note 88 having a bridge height of  30 mm (Del
> says elsewhere that 32 mm is ideal for the A-2 in question).  Are you making
> the bridge height along its entire length the same height as in the  high
> treble, or are you raising it by a corresponding amount along its length (as
> in adding 5 mm. or whatever everywhere?).

Hi Will,
I'm adding height to the high treble by changing the thickness
taper of the long bridge. I don't need to raise the height of
the low tenor, do I? Making the high treble taller will make
positioning the plate higher in the treble, which will make
the string height through the treble more uniform which will
make boring the hammers simpler. I don't know of a simpler way
to state this.

> Is there sufficient benefit to be
> had by increasing  the bridge height along its length to merit doing so, or
> is the bang for the buck best realized only in the treble?

I haven't yet found a compelling need to make the entire
bridge taller, but I haven't seen one of every kind of piano
yet, so I'll think that one over when it shows up in the shop.
The treble is the problem in the Steinways, as has been said.
I make the bass bridge a few millimeters taller to accommodate
vertical hitches, and the transition bridge taller to
accommodate the much longer back scale, but I usually leave
the low tenor bridge height at about where it was.

> I would be
> grateful if you would describe your method for the entire treble bridge for
> the sake of clarity.  From your other comments, it sounds to me like you are
> making it fairly uniformly one height.

More nearly one height throughout than it originally was.
That's why I keep saying to make the treble taller rather than
saying to make the entire bridge taller.

 >If I bore the treble hammers
> to only one value, it seems a matter of choosing my poison - I am going to
> be overcentering, undercentering, and just right depending on what note I am
> on.  If all else is equal, it seems a candidate for a tapered bore, unless
> there is some sublime mystery to Steinway's one size fits all boring that I
> am missing here.
>
> Will

The standard piano to the world can't be wrong can it? But
maybe it can be made more nearly right, if not exactly.

I can't give you absolute numbers that will work on pianos of
which no two on the planet are the same. If the TREBLE end of
the bridge is made TALLER, the string height can be made MORE
NEARLY the same throughout the tenor and treble than it
typically is, which may or may not mean you can bore all the
tenor and treble hammers the same length and accommodate the
"close enough" near quasi uniformity of string height
resulting from propping up the treble end of the plate to
accommodate the increased treble height of the long bridge. At
some point you have to decide how many decimal points to round
to as a working value and do what you have to do to stay
within your tolerance. This situation seems to be an
indication that the manufacturer didn't like measurements at
all, or what they did would have a more logical look about it.
Making the treble end of the bridge taller will both make the
treble stiffer, which is a good thing, and it will make the
string heights closer to the same than they were, which also
strikes me as a good thing, especially if the string heights
get close enough (post decimal tolerance rounding) to the same
to be able to bore all the long bridge hammers the same length.

Sometimes it takes a fair amount of work to make something
simpler.
Ron N