[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 24 16:27:36 PDT 2009

Just to add something here, in practice the string heights very somewhat
because of the curvature (or warping) of the plate not just because the
bridge height changes.  For the B I have in the shop at present the string
heights increase from low tenor to the break by 3 mm while the bridge height
decreases by 2 mm.  The string height then drops by about 5 mm by the time
you get to note 88 while the bridge height does the same.  If I move the
treble side of the plate relatively higher, then the difference between the
string height at the break versus the low tenor will increase.  My goal,
therefore is to have a bridge height which graduates from somewhere around
35 mm in the low tenor to around 30+ at note 88.  Because of the plate I
won't be able to bore the hammers uniformly if I want them to match center
to string height throughout the piano.  So I either custom bore each section
with a graduated bore distance point or live with the regulation differences
in each section (wouldn't be the first time).  Welcome to the wonderful
world of Steinway plates.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com