[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 16:31:16 PDT 2009

At 23:29 -0400 23/3/09, Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano wrote:

>As for spruce roots, I'm not sure speed of sound is a factor in
>range of human hearing as far as I know...

That's not the point.  The use of spruce makes a good deal of
difference to the ratio of volume and mass to stiffness, just as it
does in the soundboard, and the speed at which sound is propagated
through the whole system most certainly has important audible
results.  Why should the ratio of stiffness to mass be so precious in
the soundboard and not in the bridge?

JD