[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Wed Mar 25 06:06:33 PDT 2009

Hi John,

I'm not sure I can answer this to your satisfaction, but as I understand it,
the bridge and ribs really play quite a different role than the soundboard,
even if in the end they function as a unified assembly. Despite past claims
by Wolfendon and others, for example, that the ribs help to tranmit sound
across the grain, I don't believe that we hear the vibrations coming from
the ribs and bridge. In fact I would love to hear a piano that was built
with just ribs and a bridge(no soundboard), one of spruce and one laminated.
I would hypothesize there wouldn't be a big difference. Rather, the
soundboard is the diaphragm that moves the air while the bridge and ribs
control the impedance of that diaphragm.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545