[pianotech] more on nineteen note temperament

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Wed Mar 25 08:55:10 PDT 2009

I'm sure there are some out there who have been asked to prepare a piano ala John Cage and this would be along that line.
Hi Greg,

Actually, the tuning project you describe is quite different from prepared piano.  As you have probably already anticipated, you will have to lower many notes considerably if you are going to execute this tuning on a normally scaled piano.  The lower the tension (from standard for a given note), the flabbier the sound.  I have found it helpful to "adjust" the client's expectations accordingly.

Regards,

Alan Eder