[pianotech] new Faulk lever -- compare with Fujan?

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 25 18:52:50 PDT 2009

I have also had a large variety of tuning levers over the years.  The first
was a Grover brand, bought from Lyon & Healy in Chicago in 1969.  I now use
it in my class on piano levers to demonstrate a really bad head fit on the
tuning pins.  Kent is right on when he reminds us about this small but
crucial detail.  At the end of last year, I sold my Fujan lever.  It worked
great, but I did not like the feel in my hand.  Previous to that an older
Faulk titanium lever was my everyday tool for grands.  (I like the impact
lever for verticals.)  I really wanted to go to the Falk carbon fiber, but
Charles Faulk talked me out of it for one reason.  I like to change tips
fairly often and he told me that the CF (I think this stands for carbon
fiber, not Charles Faulk) may not hold up to frequent tip or head changes.
I tune a number of European grands that have 1/0 tuning pins and a #2 head
feels just awful on them.  My newest lever is a Faulk titanium lever that is
longer than my original.  I have been using it for about two months now.
For much of the first month, I had trouble keeping the Faulk head tight on
the shaft.  I have replaced it with a Schaff 10 degree head which is working
much better.  I am finding more flex than I like with the new lever.. this
is getting expensive!   We all have our bears to cross.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter