[pianotech] Fourth, Fifth, Octave, Double Octave and Twelfth

Bernhard Stopper b98tu at t-online.de
Thu Mar 26 02:09:01 PDT 2009

A good description and a useful approximation of the Stopper
temperament on instruments with lower inharmonicity in the temperament
and lower treble region.

As you figured out correctly in step 7, the 4/1 double octave A3-A5
has about the same beat rate as the fourth A3-D4 (in abscence of
inharmonicity, it is exactly the same), it is important to know that
one is using a different world view in this temperament, we are
definitely leaving the pure octave concept. We should not have aurally
or naturally  (i.e. inharmonicity compensated) pure octaves or double
octaves.

I still want to supplement, that inharmonicity requires a duodecime
(twelfth) which is slightly stretched beyound the 3/1 coincident, to
target the singular symmetry (discovered 2004) of this temperament at
a maximum, which turns the temperament compromise into a pure tuning
on the chords level, by canceling beats through symmetric harmonic
interference. In fact this temperament solves the pythagorean problem
finally, as the "problem" (the pythagorean comma) fits exactly into a
symmetric lattice where it simply "dissappears". Also of importance to
notice that this has nothing to do with solving the pythagorean comma
by inharmonicity.

Bernhard Stopper