[pianotech] CA glue vs. PinTite or Garfield's

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 07:04:02 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:11 AM, John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Jeff Deutschle <oaronshoulder at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> I have used CA only once and do not plan on using it again.
>

> You really should give it more than one try. It doesn't work every time,
> but when it works, it works well. I tell my customers that it works 9 times
> out of 10.  Some better than others. I've done maybe 10-12 applications.
>
> Some CA glues work better than others. Thin CA I got from Wal-Mart (because
> my order didn't come in on time, and I had the job scheduled) didn't work
> well at all. I have gotten great results from Dryburgh Adhesives.  I
> generally use 2 oz, making 2-3 passes until the CA is gone. Dryburgh also
> has the applicator tips, which prevent excess CA from spilling on the plate.
>  Use Q-tips to soak up any excess (there won't be much if you're careful).
> Most jobs take only about an hour, including time for tipping (for
> verticals).
>
> I usually keep an extra 2 oz. bottle in the freezer so it will be available
> when I need it.
>
> --
> JF

Having read all of the posts on this thread and the other it seems to me
that we as technicians should keep a more open mind especially about those
things about which we don't fully understand.

I have used Garfields, it was cheaper and you could do 2 pianos from one
bottle since it came in an "unmixed" form, you had to mix it with the
alcohol.
About the time the article referred to by Ben Gac was written or perhaps a
few years before, I was told by my mentor that there were reports of
pinblock rot from Garfields and to switch to Lunsfords which I did, I have a
bottle on the shelf in my shop now.
Shortly after I got it I heard, at a chapter meeting about the virtues of CA
treatment which is what I have been using since.

Having said that, I still have the Lunsfords and should I feel it would be a
superior choice for a specific piano, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

CA is still relativly new, Lunsfords has been around for the 40 years I've
been in the business, both have worked for me Lunsfords has so far worked
longer.
IMHO new is just new, it's not always a panacea, rather just another tool
for my arsenal.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404