[pianotech] Managing agraffes was Increasing bridge height

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Thu Mar 26 07:35:49 PDT 2009

Thank you for a well reasoned response, Frank. (BTW great cap/whip post-I'm
still mulling).

Now, it is not uncommon to arrive at the proper agraffe angle somewhere at
or before the border torque specification of "finger tight." My procedure
has been to bring it around another 180 degrees for all the reasons
mentioned in this thread, and I willingly admit this will occasionally twist
me out of my own comfort zone for fear that I might be stressing the agraffe
at the threads leading to all kinds of imagined catastrophies, present or
future. I've used washers and counterbores but am not wholely satisfied with
those techniques because of their inherent disadvantages, namely time
consumption and flattening the shoulder at the base; so I'm looking for
options.

I wouldn't mind a counterbore that would maintain a shoulder. Suppliers?
Listening? Jurgen? I could especially use it for those fun vintage
Becksteins.

So based on this survey, I suppose I'll stick with tight; but I'm still
trying to get a sense of when is too tight. I figure if I had a spec for
this limit, I could take some measurements and develop the feel. Then I can
get on with it, as Ron suggested.

As to new agraffes vs. old, for me it comes down to weighing the
cost/benefit.  Polishing old ones remains more expensive than buying new
ones and spending a little extra time refining the holes. I save the old
ones for when this may not be the case. I borrowed my method from Paul-Flitz
on a quill-like buffer in a dremel or foredom.

Paul: Hoping you still read every post with "agraffe" in the tiltle...what
are you using for a buffer? I find are q-tips too big. I made some from
hammer felt scraps but am interested trying something store bought?

Thanks,

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts