[pianotech] Managing agraffes was Increasing bridge height

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 26 14:13:22 PDT 2009

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano wrote:

> Now, it is not uncommon to arrive at the proper agraffe angle somewhere
> at or before the border torque specification of "finger tight." My
> procedure has been to bring it around another 180 degrees for all the
> reasons mentioned in this thread, and I willingly admit this will
> occasionally twist me out of my own comfort zone for fear that I might
> be stressing the agraffe at the threads leading to all kinds of imagined
> catastrophies, present or future.

Wow, me too! That's why I suggested 45°. Ok, up to maybe 60°.
It's enough to squeak, and seems to me to be plenty tight and
solid. It's typically more tight than what I removed.

>I've used washers and counterbores but
> am not wholely satisfied with those techniques because of their inherent
> disadvantages, namely time consumption and flattening the shoulder at
> the base; so I'm looking for options.

Washers and counterbores for alignment, or height control? For
alignment, if you have four or five more of any type agraffe
than you need for the set, you have enough to do the set
without modifying any, adding washers, or cranking them down
excessively. You just need to find the right agraffe for each
hole, or the right hole for each agraffe, whichever. Make
yourself a spinner wrench, and trial fitting takes seconds
apiece.

Still lazy, but faster than I used to be,
Ron N