[pianotech] Strange Green Powder

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Mar 29 05:16:29 PDT 2009

Thank you all for your timely and possibly life saving
information.  While Marcel suggests a less ominous theory, I suspect,
from the other info and from the very fine, consistent texture of the
appearance (not crumbly) that the toxic interpretation is probably
accurate.  The links and background info are deeply
appreciated.  It's also nice to know there are still new things to
come across after this many years.  The young mother-owner of this
Baldwin Acrosonic (one of the better vintage) will be initially
horrified, but canafford to have it professionally tested  (excited
though I was at the prospect of buying a whole new set of
toys...chemicals, test strips, lab equipment, etc.), but this may
actually have an Ag-lining, in that the reason she initially called
me was to have a badly chipped key repaired before the upcoming visit
of her mother-in-law, the donor of the piano.  I explained that it
would be hard (if not impossible) to accomplish an indiscernible
repair, since the otherwise blemish-free keyboard used a material and
thickness that I doubt are still available (very thin), and I've had
limited success with Acryli-key (I don't know if it would even work
on plastic).  Concern about potential condemnation from the visitor
might be easily converted into righteous indignation, and guilt (&
remorse)  might supplant judgement.  But people being who they are,
things rarely work out that cleanly.

I'll report back.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY