[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 04:14:56 PDT 2009

I tuned full-time for one year back in the 70’s and was a member of
the Guild at that time. Then I chose a different career, and then
switched careers, but always tuned a little on the side. I have been
tuning more lately because the local tuner no longer can. There are
more distant tuners that tune in this area, but there are some
customers that only want a local tuner, not someone from a “Big City”.
I fill a niche in a rural area. Am I as good as the “Big City” tuners?
I really don’t know. Are the customers happy with my work? Yes.

I am not sure which ethics we may be talking about. I do collect and
pay taxes on my services. I charge more than I might otherwise so that
I am not undercutting anyone else. There is no divvying up of
territory (which might not be legal or ethical) that I am violating.
As far as efficacy, since I do not travel as far, it is more efficient
for me to tune than someone coming from a “Big City”. But for other
independent part-time craftsman, regardless of the trade, do we really
want to squash free enterprise? How ethical would that be?

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.