[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Tue Mar 31 07:52:17 PDT 2009

Good thoughts, Michael.

I guess you would also object to *fulltime*  techs who are as you describe
- not trying to better themselves, etc?

When the Pianoforte Tuners Assoiciation opened up their convention &
classes in the 1980s to non-members, I was always eager to attend, went to
loads of wonderful classes and learned lots of useful stuff, anad met some
very nice people. I used to look forward so much to going.

I've been a member of this forum for around a decade, and have found it
such a warmhearted and informative and helpful place.

I have most of the books on piano technology and tuning, including the two
relatively recent ones by Capleton which I've commented on in here
previously.

Two years ago I invested in a Fujan lever (which I love) - I doubt if
there are many others in Scotland.

I am always eager to learn of new tools, techniques and materials.

Hopefully these things help to establish that my interest is an active and
progressive one.  My remit in my fulltime job currently is about lifelong
learning, and I am a proponent of it.

But I am a part-time  tuner/technician.

Is a full-timer who has done none of those things and who has one year's
experience forty times over (as  another contributor sapiently put it)
preferable?

Best regards,

David.

>I have no objection to part-time technicians. my mentor is now a part
>timer after many years of 12 and 14 hour days.
>I have no objection to part-time techs who are establishing themselves, I
>was, in fact, one of those.

>My objection is to the part timers who make no attempt to better
>themselves, have no contact with any of the techs in the region, do not
>seek out the local PTG chapter but just continue on their merry way
>repeating the same mistakes over and over, ad infinitum. In a those
cases >I have made attempts to seek them out, one accepted, the others
weren't >interested.