[pianotech] Pee + Bolts

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 31 13:43:10 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:37 PM, <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> Brian
>
> To get the rods out of the box, remove the bottom, remove the pedals,and
> hammer the rods out. I would suggest you get new rods. The old ones will be
> very pitted,and won't look good.
>
> I doubt if just those three stripped plate screws are causing the
> instability. But there might be others under the strings that might also be
> stripped, in which case this is a warrantee issue. If it's just those
> screws, you'll need to get the screws out first, then plug up the hole, and
> redrill.
>
> Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
> Piano Tuner/Technician
> Mililani, Oahu, HI
> 808-349-2943
> Author of:
> The Business of Piano Tuning
> available from Potter Press
> www.pianotuning.com

A second possibility  regarding the stripped plate bolts, is that they may
not be stripped at all but rather snapped off and you are turning only a
short piece of the bolt.
Years ago I was setting up an asian piano that shall remain nameless and as
it had arrived in the dead of our Wisconsin winter, I was checking all of
the plate bolts, one snapped right where the threads begin. I called the
manufacturer's tech support and they told me not to worry about it.
The piano was delivered that way and has been in place, a hotel, for about
20+ years. Always held tune, no one has ever noticed the "loose" bolt.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404