[pianotech] stuck keys after one hour of playing

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Tue Mar 31 15:55:11 PDT 2009

Hi Barbara,
It can be any centerpin. Prior to your appointment date it saves time if the client will place a small piece of masking tape or part of a bandaid at the back of the keys that are showing the problem. Then you can zero in on those that might work when you arrive. Also you might ask them to play as they would usually do an hour prior to your arrival. Otherwise you will be looking for a center pin in a hay stack. >g<
The cause is usually tight centerpins caused by graphite or too much glue in the felt and no amount of GJ,  Proteck, Vodka what ever will solvent the situation Only repinning will work. Well come to think of it the Vodka might mellow you out.
Look for a browinsh or black on the outside of the flange, and take a close look at the removed pin . Where the felt has rubbed will be a different sheen than the center of the pin.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com