[pianotech] 1983 Bluthner with Renner action

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun May 3 04:30:20 PDT 2009

You may not find any data for your application - maybe have to contact
Bluthner directly if you wish to. But even if such a beast did exist, my
recommendation would be the same. As it has been written on this list many
times in the past, "let the piano dictate the regulation specifications".

If, by chance you are not aware of the process, I'll try at least to give
you a start. Start with the keys. Use the fallboard and keyslip as guides
for key height. Place action in piano and check blow range - can you adjust
somewhere in a 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" range? What kind of dip do you have with a
given blow - is it what you like? Adjust accordingly. Your strings will
dictate let-off and drop.

I guess I really don't understand why anyone would rely on published data
for regulating an action. Isn't that a bit like only using the Yamaha PT-100
fixed tuner to tune your C-3?

I have Randy's Action Handbook and find it a useful tool to use as a
starting point for regulation - but even then, I always evaluate how well
the handbook specs work with the action and adjust accordingly.

Terry Farrell