[pianotech] Smoke Damage Appraisal

Geoffrey Arnold welltemperedtuning at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 13:59:19 PDT 2009

I was recently contracted to inspect five pianos for a church which suffered extensive fire and smoke damage. Because of the major renovations now underway these appraisals will help them decide which pianos to replace or rebuild regardless of smoke damage, but they want to know if there is fire-related damage for insurance purposes.

I know little about the affects of smoke. None of these pianos were exposed to extreme elevated temperatures, and most were far from the main exposure to smoke. I gave them my usual inspection and made an itemized appraisal of their component parts, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. What should I be looking for?

Many thanks!

Greg Arnold, RPT
Walla Walla, WA