[pianotech] Smoke Damage Appraisal

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Mon May 4 17:48:57 PDT 2009

Greg

It all depends on the pianos. On an upright, if the fall board?was closed, then most likely the only thing that needs to be done is for the case to be thoroughly cleaned. If the fall board was open, you will also?have to clean the keys, or maybe get new tops put on.

Grand pianos, however are much different.?Smoke probably got inside, even with?the lid?down. Smoke is very caustic, especially on felts and strings. You can clean the strings, but that is not where the problem lies. It's at the pressure points, like the bridge pins,?V-bar, at the tuning pins, etc., where the smoke causes problems. Which means the strings have to be replaced, along with the felts. You will also need to look closely at the action. If you see smoke damage on the hammers, it means all the felts have been "infected" with smoke. Which means all the action parts will need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI