[pianotech] on call tuning rates

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue May 5 18:45:46 PDT 2009

Andrew

There is a difference between being on call and being present. Being on call means you they want to be able to call you at a moment's notice and?drop what you're doing?to come as quickly as possible to take care of whatever problem there is.?Being present means you sit in the studio and wait for a string to go out.

If they want the latter, charge your tuning fee times the number of hours you're going to sit there. If it's the former, charge a premium for having to leave you're other clients, plus travel time, plus the time it takes to take care of the problem.

If you schedule to come once a day to give it a tuning, charge your normal fee. Perhaps you can try to schedule all you're tunings in that area of town for the duration. Or at least don't schedule anything on the opposite side of town for those days.

The bottom line is, the more you tell them it's going to cost them to inconvenience you, the less they will call?you. Even it's Prince.

Wim