[pianotech] Hammer Line Issue

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed May 6 21:11:51 PDT 2009

In the time it took to point out the problem to the client you could have adjusted the capstans . Didn't we go over this last month ?  Capstans too low = lost motion. Capstans too high = hammer shanks off the rail. How is blow? Letoff?.
key dip ? A 23 year old piano with capstans all over the place is unlikely to have every other adjustment correct.
Your web site says you took the Potter course. I'm willing to bet that Randy has a chapter on vertical regulation .
As for voicing,you can't voice a piano that is out of regulation and probably needs hammer reshaping .
    Matthew ,I'm sure you're a sincere young man and are striving to be the best tech that you can be.I know this sounds like I'm bustin' you here but in my opinion asking this type of question reveals a gap in your  basic understanding  of a piano action works.
    I ask and receive help from our group as much as anyone and there is nothing wrong with inquiry and no shame in having gaps in ones understanding. I'm 35 years in and just finished a Steinway B regulation with the new Wurzens and fresh ideas about aftertouch from a class by John Von Rohr and from Dale and David A. and others on list .It was my best work to date and next time I hope to do better. I have a better concept of what a high level performance  pianist  needs and feel like I'm just now starting to "get it"
  My point here is that technical support  from the list is great and until I die I will benefit from the help of our colleagues and occasionally am able to  return the favor but a  basic understanding is a necessary foundation .
    So back to your problem. The hammers were off the rail. The top of the jack is holding  the butt assembly -shank off the rail. The jack is glued into the whippen . The whippen rests on the capstan. Lower the capstan and the shank will come down to meet the rail. Raise the capstans on the notes with lost motion. See it . Understand it . Correct it. Get an action model and play around with it . Get a feeling for the mechanics and interaction between the parts.
In my opinion it's the concepts not the answers that will ultimately be of more value to you.
 Matthew ,you have picked a great profession . You're a talented musician and I  see by your web site that you have a nice family . I wish you only the best .
.
Tom Driscoll RPTired