[pianotech] Hammer Line Issue

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sun May 10 22:59:01 MDT 2009

Israel, et all:

I agree that before doing anything with the damper springs, you should make sure everything else is regulated. But if the?hammers are still?bobbling, weakening the damper springs is a very good remedy.?I had this several months ago with a Steinway console on which I installed new damper levers. I had the same problem, and someone suggested weakening the damper springs. It worked.

As far as dynamics, I believe the bobbling hammers?have a lot of effect on dynamics, because no matter how hard you hit the key, the hammer will not bounce off the strings in a normal way, which in turn will not give you the dynamic control you want.

Maybe a sorcerer, but certainly past the apprentice stage.

Wim